Jan 31 2018
We have all said that mythical expression “when I grow up I want to be” and now, studying at university, living away from home and starting a future path, is when we take a look back and think nostalgically of what you dreamed of being. Shall we remember together?
- Fire fighter / Police officer: it didn’t matter, what we wanted was to be part of those heroes who fought against the bad guys and beat them. We loved playing cops and robbers, imagining the patrol car with the siren, which led to long afternoons in the park playing at being grown up. And who didn’t?
- Magician: Harry Potter influenced our childhood in a way that many of us hoped at some point for the arrival of the letter from Hogwarts to form part of the fabulous world of magic. How many memories come to mind, truly? And surely you tried to move some object with the spell wingardium leviosa.
- Teacher: This is a “when I grow up I want to be” that surely some of you have fulfilled and for that reason we congratulate you. Our teachers instilled us with knowledge and encouraged us to follow our dreams. Who does not remember them?
- Vet / Marine biologist / Zoo keeper: If there were animals you wanted to work there, and probably decided it after visiting the zoo, aquarium or seeing a Disney movie like Nemo or Tarzan, right? And who didn’t! We have all at one time cared for a little sick street animal.
Have you fulfilled your dream thelofttowner? Let us tell you that if you’re with us it is because you are building your professional future, so we couldn’t be more pleased, but always remember the “when I grow up I want to be”.
Jan 24 2018
As a good student residence, we welcome all students who have chosen to study abroad; in this case, those that have decided to come on Erasmus to Barcelona and have chosen us as their place to stay during this period of growth; today our blog is dedicated to our Erasmus residents, and we’ll tell you the benefits when you study abroad. Let’s do this!
- You will master a new language: one of the best benefits that occur to us; here you can learn Catalan or Spanish and interact with all your companions. Also, if you come from a country with a foreign language, you can teach your language to other residents.
- It will increase your self-esteem: in addition you will become an independent person because you will have to learn how to manage budgets and make new friends.
- Cultural immersion: something that you will never regret and have to live, not talk about; it is a first-hand experience of the culture of the country you visit. In this case, if you come to study abroad and choose Barcelona as a destination, you will be able to know a different culture, a pace of life and a way of doing things, as well as a different personality. Are you prepared for the experience?
- What am I going to find? A city of dreams, full of activities, bars, paths, traditions, a residence that will welcome you as if you were at home and companions who will become your family during your stay.
For that reason and much more we are looking forward to meeting you, and wish that your decision to study abroad becomes the best experience in your student life. We are waiting for you with open arms, wishing that you too could be a thelofttowner 😉
Jan 16 2018
Today we are talking about where you can go to study in Barcelona if what you want is a change of scenery or to go to a bar for a drink and do your work, either in group or as individuals. As you know, in The Lofttown you can find group study rooms, coworking and single rooms, so what we are talking about today are the best places (outside of The Lofttown) where you can meet up and work a little 😉
- Do you like brunch?: Federal cafe is one of the first cafés that offers a brunch fixed menu, so if you don’t have time to eat in The Lofttown it is a very good choice to make a workgroup and eat a light and delicious fixed menu. What do you think?
- The MNAC library: yes, we are talking about the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya, it is the ideal quiet corner if you are looking for peace and quiet, and you can take a break to visit the museum. Students have a 30% discount 😉
- Do you need a walk?: there is nothing better after studying than to take a walk through the Park Joan Miró where you can revise, read your notes, lie down on the soft grass or read a book quietly; it’s a relaxing moment that every student needs.
- Centre Cívic Can Deu : it is the change of scenery that you needed, the cafeteria with that quaint appeal will be the ideal space in which to meet with friends.
As you can see, Barcelona is a study city and therefore a student city; we say to all our residents of The Lofttown (our thelofttowners) we say that here (in The Lofttown) you have everything you need, and we are giving you some more alternatives just if you want to change the scenery a bit 😉
Jan 09 2018
For those who are in exam preparation for the change of semester… we tell you that this is your post. Preparing for an exam is not an easy thing, if you dedicate too much time you hate it, and if you dedicate too little you feel guilty; these are the ten stages of exam preparation that we have all gone through.
- THERE IS STILL A LONG TIME: you think that two weeks is a long time to study and you keep putting it to one side until the time comes.
- I SHOULD START: your friends begin to prepare for the exam and to talk about it.
- I WILL ONLY SEE ONE EPISODE OF NETFLIX TO CLEAR MY HEAD: then I’ll start studying.
- THE WEATHER’S TOO NICE TO STUDY: I’ll go out a while to take advantage of the sun.
- I SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED THE SCHEDULE THAT I MADE: it is already getting late.
- HAVE YOU STARTED TO STUDY? A self motivating sentence for those friends that are doing worse than you.
- I’M GOING TO FAIL: the sentence with which you start to study, you have little time and much to revise.
- THEY ARE JUST EXAMS: you think you can narrowly pass with what you’ve studied.
- CAN I GET OUT OF THE CAVE AND GET MY SOCIAL LIFE BACK? You have been locked up in your room studying and your friends could have got married without you knowing it.
- FREEDOM: that’s it! You are completely free and your worries have gone until the next exams.
Who feels identified? Be encouraged in your studies, thelofttowners, we are here to help you in everything 😉 You have all the classrooms you need at your disposal: individual rooms, group rooms, work rooms… we want the best for you. Carry on like this and you will succeed.
Jan 03 2018
After the holidays the dreaded back to studies and routine arrives, which means “picking up the pace again” and we know that this is very difficult, but we have to get down to it because some of you have final exams in January and February and we want to help you pass them successfully; so, thelofttowners, here are our recommendations.
- Start your routine in advance: sure, during these holidays you’ve gone to bed at a time close to dawn; what we recommend is that a week before going back to studies you start preparing your body. So go to sleep at a reasonable time and get up early so getting back into the routine won’t be so tiresome.
- Prepare the night before: it is very important to leave everything ready in the evening, and when we say everything we mean everything: clothes, backpack, homework, notes… so in the morning you won’t have to worry about anything and can even sleep a little more.
- Breakfast. Seriously: breakfast is the most important meal of the day and although you think that you have already eaten enough, that premise does not apply to breakfast. It is the meal that will give you energy for the whole day.
- Plan your timetable: know when the new classes begin (remember that you are changing your semester, and if you haven’t done it yet this advice will help you later) where they are taught, which teacher you are going to do them with, and think about the classmates who go to the same classes as you, they are a good support not to get lost on the first day.
Are you ready? Then on with the new semester.