During some weeks we will have our Orientation Days in Xior The Lofttown.
We have organized some sessions of maximum 6 people following the general procedures for the COVID.
During these sessions we will explain important information about Xior The Lofttown,we will talk about our general rules, we will inform about everything that we have prepared for our Lofttowners… and there will be some surprises!
It is mandatory for all residents of The Lofttown. ¡Join us!
The Lofttown Team
The new academic year has started and we have some photos of our students arrivals.
We are very happy to welcome them to our #XiorFamily.
We are preparing a lot of surprises for our Lofttowners, which ones we will keep you informed through our Instagram @thelofttown_bcn and very soon in our Facebook The Lofttown.
There are more arrivals for the coming days and we still have some rooms available, if you are reading this and you are looking for a place to stay in Barcelona.. this is your moment! –> https://thelofttown.com/es/reservas/
We are waiting for you! ¡Check In time in Xior Student Housing Barcelona The Lofttown!
#CheckInTime #NewAcademicYear #StudentHousingBarcelona #XiorTheLofttown #ResidenceBcn
YOU ARE WELCOME!
Dec 23 2019
Finding a job after Uni sounds far away. Many of The Lofttown residents come to Barcelona just to study. What happens to them next is that the city and social activity invite them to stay. And believe us: it happens.
Once your studies are finished you will have your group of friends, your trips on top, and you will ask yourself a question: what if I stay to live in Barcelona? This is where you’ll start thinking about looking for a job after university.
So we thought, what if we give you a hand? Here we will tell you, thanks to the experiences that the lofttowners tell us in the student residence in Barcelona, how and where to look for work. Whether part or full time.
Let’s get to it!
Prepare your C.V.
You will have to invest a lot of time in this task, but in the end it will be worth it. When it comes to finding work after Uni the C.V. will be your cover letter.
Take time to polish it. Make it minimalist, short and concise; so that it doesn’t last more than one page. A Word sheet is no longer usually presented: companies are already looking for creativity from the C.V. To do this, give it a creative touch, with colours and highlighting your knowledge and qualities. Do you know what you can use? Canva, a super easy and intuitive design tool where you can find countless C.V. templates that you will love, and many of them are free.
Think that they’ll know you through a piece of paper. So sell yourself. Make a brief introduction describing your personality, values and goals. Remember to add a cover letter to let companies know more about you.
Here are some templates for you to have ideas when creating your C.V.
Part Time Work
After Uni finding a job will be, in itself, a job. There are many who decide to work part time as waiters or in kitchens of bars, pubs, restaurants and clubs.
But this isn’t all: you can also look for work from what you’ve studied. At first you will be able to find many internships. Most will not be paid and others will.
Here it will be important how you want to allocate your personal time. That is: working part time you will have every morning or afternoon free (depending on where you apply). This will allow you, for example, to start your own projects while gaining experience in a company.
But don’t worry: you have paid part-time jobs. Depending on which degree you’ve studied there will be more or less offers. Seek and you will find, believe us.
Full Time Work
If you already set out to find work after Uni with the aim of having a career and gaining experience, then you will be looking for a Full Time job.
In this case, focus on sending your C.V. to offers that interest you. That is, do not do bulk mailings. Think what you want to work doing, in your day-to-day life, what you like. It’s not a matter that you want to come to later. Don’t focus only on the economic side. We all want to be rich, but we’ll need to gather experience and grow and train in the workplace.
However, these offers are usually accompanied by an acceptable salary.
Platforms to find work
Depending on the sector you are in, there are platforms that will have more offers. However, here we leave you the list of the most used in Barcelona:
Now, it’s your turn. Remember: prepare a good C.V. and cover letter to find work after Uni. Set goals and decide what to do with your time. Then choose what kind of work you want. The final step: start submitting C.V.s and wait for the answers.
Good luck and go for everything!
Oct 21 2019
Student residence halls in Barcelona are key for those who come to do their degree in the Catalan capital.
When we come to study in a new city, we try to make a mix which offers us stability to study, have a good time and save.
For this reason, student residence halls in Barcelona are a very attractive option. First of all because you will share a space with students like yourself and you will be able to make friends to go out at night (or in the day). Second, because with the fee of a student residence hall all the services are included, and third because you will have exclusive areas to study alone or in group.
Well then: what is the most important thing at the moment of choosing a student residence hall in Barcelona? In TheLofttown we help you to choose the best place for you and your needs.
At the moment of choosing a student residence hall in Barcelona it is fundamental to know the services that it has. A residence hall is not only a room… it is much more!
For example, it is key that the installations are prepared for students. This is: wifi, study rooms (individuals and group), meeting rooms, private rooms, photocopiers and printers.
At the same time, you can find out the additional services included in the fee which make your stay more friendly and optimised to make new friends.
An example of these additional services can be: terrace, solarium, gym, cafeteria, common spaces to socialise, video games rooms, laundromat, parking for bicycles, and of course, cooking.
There are many student residence halls in Barcelona which offer services on top of the fee. TheLofttown includes the lot!
It’s important that you make an analysis of your needs to find all the comforts and services at the best price. This way you don’t worry about costs out of the residence hall. A clear example of this is the gym.
“How much does it cost to live in Barcelona?” is a recurring question among those who come to study a master’s degree or do an Erasmus in Barcelona. Well, imagine that you pay for a room and everything is included. Cool!
Get to know the different rooms and prices that we have in TheLofttown. Fall in love!
Just as we commented before, it is fundamental that the students always feel comfortable; like at home. Student residence halls must offer space and practicality.
The study areas must be adapted for each one and the relaxation areas ready to favour interaction.
Likewise, basic services like heating, air conditioning and cleaning are fundamental for students to enjoy their stay without worrying about things they don’t want to worry about.
The location of your next student residence hall in Barcelona has to be comfortable for you: near to the important arteries of the city, well-connected and in an agreeable environment.
TheLofttown is located in one of the best neighbourhoods in Barcelona: Gracia. Near to everything: the universities, study centres, leisure, restaurants, shops, green areas … and with virtually all the metro, bus and train lines next to you. Google it!
May 30 2019
The tricks to study better that you have always wanted to know
Hello again Thelofttowners, today we give you something that you are always looking for (and no it’s not the elixir of eternal youth); they are the definitive tricks to study better. Because we will tell you a secret, we were students too and we went through each and every one of the aspects that you are going through now, we’ve been through it before. And it is for this very reason that we want you to have everything within reach to get the best grades and be the smartest in the class.
First of all we want to tell you something: we know that you are at a stage in which everything is new experiences, new companions, new studies, new environments, a new city (we refer to our newest Thelofttowners, for the veterans you already have good knowledge about it); it’s at this time that you fancy going out of the student residence with your friends, spending the evening walking along Las Ramblas, arriving at Maremagnum and having an ice cream in front of the sea, going to the aquarium… and even more now that the weather is good and you fancy going skating along the Paseo Marítimo on roller blades, for example. But guys, this is very nice and very idyllic but in these periods of absolute freedom there also has to be time for study, assignments and exam preparation. We are not saying that you have to lock yourself up in a library for hours and it is for this reason that we will give you tricks to study better in incredible, and in no way boring, environments. LET’S GET TO IT!
YOUR BEST STUDENT FACET AND CONCENTRATION TRICKS TO STUDY
1. Cut the time
Ve-ry im-por-tant. It’s not worth doing four hours of study flat out to later go out with your friends. It has been demonstrated that we can only focus on a concentration time of 30 minutes; it is for this reason that if you try to study four hours together it could be in vain, since you will not be paying the attention that you should. So we recommend that you cut the time to 30 minutes blocks at one go; it may seem crazy, but we assure you that you will assimilate the concepts that you have to study very much better, and afterwards you will be able to calmly enjoying the evening with your friends. You deserve an ice cream!
2. Study routine mode on
This is one of the principal tricks to study that we very much recommend to you. Having a routine organised with all your work and study time allows you to do what you want to do in a day, and we assure you of this. We don’t want you to become obsessive about organisation and set a timer to everything, even to assure that you only have a 20 minutes nap and not one minute more. This neither, but what will indeed allow you to organise your day (more or less, there could always be unforeseen events). You know what you have to avoid above all? Having to study at all hours of the night because you haven’t had previous organisation, and we’ll tell you something: sleep is one of the most important foundations of a good student and another of the most important tricks to study better that you will be able to read here. So nobody takes away your nightly 8h of healing sleep.
3. Goodbye distractions
And we say really goodbye, no Facebook or mobile phone or calls or television, nothing at all. It’s for this reason that we have a study room set up so that none of that slows down your studies. If the library is not your thing or it is too far, we give you all the facilities that we have for you so that your study time may be as efficient as possible. You might feel lazy, but that cannot be, think that later a swim at the beach is waiting for you or an evening with your friends on the terrace of a bar facing the sea.
4. Stay away from lineal memorisation
What do you mean to say by this? Don’t be satisfied with only studying the subject. Now try to relate concepts, look for synonyms, find the sense; and something that can help you a lot is to think about what type of questions could come up in the exam.
5. Tell me a story
Literal, just like you read it. Explain what you’ve studied to a classmate, by this simple method you get a lot of benefits:
A. Structuring of the learned concepts: explaining to a classmate everything that you have studied helps your brain organise the concepts like a chronological core idea of the facts.
B. Comprehension of the concepts: speaking aloud helps you understand some concepts that you will never manage to understand by simply reading; you’ll see that when you say it aloud you understand many things, so no embarrassment and get talking.
C. Self-evaluate: reading aloud everything that you have learned will help you to detect those points that you thought you understood but in reality didn’t, you’ll find out immediately because you will be caught out without knowing how to continue the theory. What is usually most difficult to learn are the dates, formulas and names of strange theories. So now you know to give a special emphasis to learning, not memorising, that information. We’ll give you a trick: to learn these more complicated things well, we recommend that you relate them to a topic that is easy for you to remember. Let your creativity fly.
What you think of our tricks to study better? If you put them in practice you will see that they really work for you and you will begin to have time for everything, in a way that those hours you spent studying instead of sleeping will begin to be a vague memory. It is now that you take control of your life to have time for everything and enjoys the best time of your student life. Come on guys, we trust in all of you and we know that you can do this and very much more. We want to suggest a challenge:
Starting from today until the end of the course (we know that this depends on the University, this time can vary), put into practice the study methods that we have suggested, above all the one where you have to read aloud or explain to a classmate the entire subject that you have learned. If you have never put this into practice you will see that it is one of the techniques that we most stand by, it really works.
Finally thelofttowners, we say goodbye to you until the next post, not without previously inviting you to follow us in all your social networks so that you are up-to-date with everything that we are doing in the student housing in Barcelona. We share many things that for sure you need to see! And like this, creating Hype we leave you keen to follow us on our social networks. See you later!
You may be interested in:
Apr 23 2019
New to the city?
You still don’t know how to get around Barcelona? Don’t worry; we’ll explain it to you. We’ll tell you how to arrive at an address by Barcelona public transport and how to use public transport in Barcelona.
Barcelona is a relatively small city, and the advantage that the residents have of the student housing in Barcelona, The Lofttown, is that it is to be found in a very good neighbourhood of the city, central and perfect to have access to all types of public transport.
Learning how to get around Barcelona will allow you to find the restaurants you are looking for to eat in Barcelona, watch your favourite series on the long train journey that will await you according to your destination or find your student housing and easily place it on the map.
Being a growing city and in a process of ecologic innovation which will be carried out in 2020, and will mean an increase of green areas and public transport, there are more and more options to get about which do not harm or pollute the planet.
Following, we will explain to you the options that you have to get around Barcelona:
- Metro: currently Barcelona has eight metrolines which can be identified by the number colour of the line: L1 (red), L2 (purple), L3 (green), L4 (yellow), L5 (blue), L6 (violet), L7 (brown), L8 (pink), L9N y L9S (orange), L10N y L10S (light blue), L11 (light green), and which cover the majority of the city and its surroundings.
- FGC (Ferrocarrils Generalitat de Catalunya): There is also an urban and metropolitan network of trains managed by the Generalitat of Catalunya (FGC), which complements the mentioned Metro network in Barcelona. There are 4 urban lines: L6, L7, L8 and L12. Apart from those which go to different parts of Cataluña: S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S9.
- TRAM (tranvía): The tram has been running in Barcelona since 2004. This means of public transport, complementary to the metro, is an accessible, ecologic, fast and comfortable system. The tram is made up of two networks —Trambaix y Trambesòs—, 6 lines, a total of 29.2 km of track and 56 stops. The Trambaix network is made up of lines T1, T2 y T3, which have a common section of 6 km and pass through the municipalities of Barcelona, L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, Esplugues de Llobregat, Cornellà de Llobregat, Sant Joan Despí, Sant Just Desvern y Sant Feliu de Llobregat. The network has a length of 15.1 km, and 29 stops. The lines T4, T5 and T6 make up the Trambesòs network. The T4 and the T6 connect Barcelona with Sant Adrià de Besòs, and the T5 joins Barcelona with Badalona. The length of this network is 14.1 km and has 27 stops.
- Train (RENFE): If you want to arrive at a town outside Barcelona, check to see if there is a train station nearby. The Cercanías de RENFEnetwork will easily bring you near to the city centre. And, in the same way as with the tram, there are different options and lines.
- Bus:Barcelona has a fleet of more than 1.000 buses, which cover more than 80 lines to arrive at any area of the city. The buses are low-floor, and adapted for people of reduced mobility.
Do you want to go out to party and come back by public transport?
Barcelona has a service of night buses called Nit Bus, which cover a great part of the city and the surroundings.
- Going by bike or using Bicing: Barcelona has bike lanes, where you can go on your own bike, or hire it from one of the rental shops that you will find in the centre. The city is full of open spaces and parks. These conditions, and the mild climate, invite the use of a bike as alternative transport.
There is a public bike rental service which is called Bicing, mainly intended for residents, given that a yearly fee is paid.
- TAXI service:Barcelona has a service of more than 11,000 taxis, easily identifiable by their yellow and black colours. The taxis that are free have a green light, you only have to hail them and they will stop if they see your hand raised. There is also a service of polyvalent taxis to transport people with reduced mobility.
- Own or rented car: during your stay in Barcelona/Cataluña you could consider buying a car or renting. Although it is a comfortable option if you have to often go to the city surroundings, we don’t recommend it; in Barcelona there is a lot of traffic and it is difficult to park, apart from the pollution which a car generates.
- Motorcycle: you will be able to see millions of motorcyclists in Barcelona, as it is easier to get about with them than by car, and they are much more economical. Nevertheless, we recommend that you look at options like Bicing or electric scooters, transport that although it may be private transport does not pollute.
You will be asking yourself: how much will all this cost me? What are the prices of the different options? How do I buy train tickets and what is the best fare for me?
To know the prices that each one of the options has, you can check on the webpage of each of them. Search in Google, for example: Metro Barcelona. There, it specifies what price you have to pay. If you haven’t looked on the webpage before, don’t worry, there are station personnel who will help you, and machines where you can buy tickets in the same place as you take the public transport that you choose.
With relation to the fares offered, as students we recommend to you that you see if there are discounts, because there are offers which will fit your requirement with a reduced price.
How to choose which public transport is best for me?
It will depend on which place in Barcelona that you have to go to, or on your preferences.
- If you like to see the urban landscape and get to know the city without going under it, then choose to go by Bus, Tram, Bicing or private transport.
- If the traffic and the number of people that are in the street are overwhelming, the Metro is a good option to get around without inconvenience; also they are very frequent and it is easy to identify the stops by their names, which specifically describe the street or place that you are looking for.
- If you have to go far from Barcelona, take RENFE or your own or hired car, as you like.
There are many options and it will be easy for you to find what best suits your needs.
In The Lofttown we believe in the need to preserve the environment and leave the smallest environmental footprint possible. For this reason we recommend that you choose the least polluting means of transport, or do exercise and go on foot.
If you have any doubt whatsoever, we are at reception: we’ll help you.
You may also be interested in:
Mar 10 2019
TheLofttown isn’t only a student residence Barcelona, it is a very special place that will accompany you during the most important and decisive years of your life. For this reason, we have a great responsibility and we want to be a place that helps you to shape yourself as an adult.
What you should take into account at the moment of choosing your student residence Barcelona
The time at university is a stage of crucial importance in our lives, since it is the moment that we leave the protective environment of our home and family and move on to the real world. But they are also fantastic years that we have to live intensely.
If this is your current situation you are lucky. And if, in addition, you are going to study abroad or away from home, you are even luckier. And one of the main things that you will have to sort out is where to stay during this university period; TheLofttown gives you the keys to choose the best student accommodation in Barcelona. Are you ready? Well then, let’s begin,
Near, very near!
One of the things that cause the most worry is the location of the student residence Barcelona that is chosen. It is very important that your future home isn’t far away, either from your studies or from the city centre. You’ll spend less time travelling and it’ll be easy to get around because you will have everything nearby. TheLofttown is located in one of the best locations in Barcelona, in the Gracia neighbourhood. You will have everything at hand: universities, leisure, shopping and restaurants, green areas … Are you going to miss out?
It is very important to be well located, but also to be able to move around at ease; that is to say to be in the heart of the metropolis. Having several public transport connections nearby. The ideal student residence Barcelona should make getting about easy by being located in areas with different transport options.
Take it easy!
Another of the characteristics to take into account at the moment of deciding your student residence Barcelona is the peace and quiet of the neighbourhood and of the residents in it. Although for sure it’s great to be in the centre of the city and have all the activity at hand, it’s also good to be able to have spaces to relax where you are able to study and have an environment suitable for the exam periods and so that you are relaxed at “home”. And that is why the student residence Barcelona that you choose should be provided with areas specially dedicated to study as much as to leisure, to be able to take advantage, to the maximum, of the study hours, the moments you relax in the breaks and your deserved free time.
Manna from heaven!
We have good news! Everything necessary: quiet, connections, nearness, comfort and all type of quality services, we have them! This cocktail has its own name: TheLofttown. This student residence Barcelona is a new concept of student residences designed at the highest level of comfort to offer you a unique university experience. Designed thinking about what a student needs and with every detail. Creating a safe and comfortable space so that your parents can be easy knowing that you will be like at home.
Now that we have given a name to this cocktail of factors that you need to choose your student residence Barcelona, we can already say to you that TheLofttown is a lifestyle that inspires the awakening of an honest, strong and fighting attitude so that you get your dreams in the wonderful life you have in front of you.
TheLofttown is your student residence Barcelona, perfect if you’re looking for a quiet place to live, with all the comforts of home, with all the freedom as if you were living alone, with infinite new friends and with multiple opportunities to build your future at the level of personal relationships and unique experiences.
A student residence Barcelona where you learn the habit of a positive attitude in life, to achieve professional success and all that you decide. Because with attitude we can get all of our dreams. And, of course, a place designed so that above all you have a good time.
And some of you are still not convinced that this residence is the best choice; allow us to give you another of our tips so that you can see that the most important thing for us is you. At the end of the day, you are here to study a university degree, so what we are going to do is provide a guide so that you can recognise that, apart from all the other advantages TheLofttown has, it is also the best place to study that you’re going to find.
Secrets waiting to be discovered
- Create a study plan: it is very easy; the difficult thing is to keep it up. For this reason, this course put your perseverance to the test; you have to have a monthly planning and function of the tasks, jobs, exams that you’re going to have during the course and the time you are going to dedicate to each one. This is the only way that you will have time left over to enjoy with your friends in the student residence Barcelona.
- Your own notes please: the business of asking for notes from your classmates has to stop. Taking your own notes allows rapid memorisation of the topic, a structure of the subject itself, which will allow an easy visual recognition. And if you are very meticulous we suggest that you take your notes in rough of the topic given in class; and once you arrive at your student residence Barcelona, you lock yourself away in one of the study rooms and make clean notes.
- Sleep enough: and it is during dreaming that the brain assimilates everything that has been learnt during the day. Sleep is the best medicine for tiredness and it is during dreaming that the brain assimilates what has been learned during the day, for which reason the more you sleep the better, so today stay in your room in the TheLofttown and dedicate the night to yourself. We know that sometimes it can end up complicated, but there are moments when you have to prioritise. There is time for everything.
For sure, those of you who still didn’t have it clear if this student residence Barcelona was a good place to study, now you shouldn’t have any doubt. We don’t only want you to be well and have all comforts, but we are also aware that, at the end of the day, you are here because you are studying a university degree, and we don’t want the main reason to be the last in our list of priorities. Simply, TheLofttown is a community which allows you to include everything, so that you enjoy studying.
We have given you a lot of clues and tips about how your stay could be with us, so now the next step is up to you. Right now you should begin by calling us and get better informed about which room suits you best. To do that, you can consult our webpage or contact us, so you can have all our options for you at first hand.
You may also be interested in:
Feb 25 2019
Do you want to know what is hidden behind university degrees Barcelona? Without a doubt this is your post, because you’re going to discover that all that glitters is not gold and we’re going to tell you things that no one has told you and you’re going to be delighted to find out.
The moment has arrived. We are not children any more. We have finished high school and we have chosen to study university degrees Barcelona. Everything seems so difficult. I don’t know what to choose. I don’t know where to go. I don’t know what I like. I don’t know if I will study abroad. Take it easy, in this post were going to make sure you’re not overwhelmed by all of this. We can’t help you to decide what degree you should study. But yes we can inform you about what we know, so that at least you have one thing less to think about. And the thing is that there are student residences so that you can live your university time in all its splendour. Although it can be a bit scary at first, living in Barcelona with your companions, friends and doing what you yourself have chosen to do is something that you have to experience. Studying with support groups, enjoying the leisure of the city, getting fit in the gyms, going shopping in malls and going on excursions. All of this is possible in our residence, made for you.
And if you decide for one of the university degrees Barcelona or to study master in Barcelona, there is something that we must tell you, and for this you have to keep reading the post so that you have very clear where you should stay, so that you can enjoy the experience.
What are we referring to?
- Your university years are yours: what do we want to say by that? You are no longer at the age of obligatory education so you are carrying on studying because it’s what you want to do. You choose what to study because you like it, and you are motivated because you are aware that you are already beginning to build your own future. Furthermore, you’ll begin to feel that famous expression of “personal growth”, since you will be away from the family atmosphere and it will be your first step in that. So decide and go for it, it is the moment when you begin to pack your bags to leave the nest.
- Your residence companions will be friends for life: although it sounds like a cliché and you believe that they won’t go beyond simple companions, time will prove us right. Social and even amorous relationships which are going to be created in these years are going to be very special for you. Who knows if the love of your life is near; so you have to live, feel and enjoy. Think that you’ll spend a lot of time in the residence. At the meals, in the corridors, in moments of study, at parties… With the activities inside The Lofttown you will be able to enjoy everything. Leisure, excursions walks, gastronomy, shopping … You know that you can visit the farms where we get the food that we serve in our buffet? Well imagine the amount of relationships and friends you will be able to make with all the infinity of things that we are offering you.
- Nights behind the scenes: it is sure that in other places they don’t tell you, but we are distinct and we are more than a simple student residence. Although we know that you are doing a university degrees Barcelona, we also know that it won’t be all study. There will be moments for everything and, of course, there will be nights of fun. Watch out, but you must know that there are not only these moments; we must also remind you that there are moments to study and relax. But when the moment arrives to go out with your friends, you should know that Barcelona offers thousands of possibilities. Movies, theatre, dinners, drinks… Escape from the pressure of university degrees in Barcelona and turn on the fun mode.
We could carry on explaining to you all of the advantages of studying away from home, doing it in Barcelona, and doing it in The Lofttown. The problem then would be that we would need 10 more posts so we could tell you everything that we can offer, but as we can’t do this, for the moment what we can say is that we assure you of what you always longed for, learning new things. What do we want to say? In the same way as we said to you before that your companions will end up being your friends, now we say to you in our residence you will keep learning. How? We are also an Erasmus student residence Barcelona, so you’ll be able to meet new people but moreover from other different countries, which means that they bring a different culture with them. You’ll be able to live together with them because they will be part of the lofttowner community; we give it to you on a plate so that you know new people and, on top of that, learn new things.
Now that we’ve got all the future university students hooked, maybe those who have already been through that, and are thinking of continuing studying, believe we are not for them. In this case we must tell you that for you future students of master Barcelona we have room too. We can’t say anything else because we are more than a simple place to sleep, and we have room for all of you. The Lofttown is an experience, a lifestyle that you will only be able to live with us. The mix of different ages and cultures makes our residence an incredible cultural source, not forgetting all the comforts that we have prepared for you. So now, for all those reasons, we have you, we know that you’re going to take us into account, we love being near you and being able to accompany you in this stage that is so beautiful and important for you.
As we said to you at the beginning, we cannot help you decide which bachelor’s degree or master’s you should study, but we have indeed at least informed you what you could get from being with us and choosing us to be your second home. We know that there are thousands of university degrees Barcelona, like we also know that there are thousands of places and students residences, but we trust in our way of doing things and we know what we have. So it only remains for us to say to you that it is you who must step up to the plate and begin to decide what you most want for your future, since afterwards you’re going to remember it with great love, and you will be able to confirm that they were your best years.
Don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy The Lofttown experience 100%. Although we know that studying away and being far from home can be scary, we are here so that in these years you feel that your home is not so far away, but you practically live in it (yes, we also know the typical expression “there is no place like home”).
Now we’re going to leave you to read the post again and think what you want. You must have a clear head and choose responsibly because you’re going to carve out your future. We are passionate about looking after you and making your stay more comfortable, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any doubt that we haven’t been able to answer in this post, or if you want to know more about us.
Lights, The Lofftown and action! Live, study and enjoy Barcelona.
You may also be interested in:
Jan 30 2019
Keep learning while you disconnect. How? Discover with us the best series to learn English.
We’ll warn you now so that you won’t have any surprises. Yes, we are a student residence, but so that you can see that we are distinct and offer things that you had never thought about, we are going to offer you some of the best series to learn English and which, in addition, you going to be able to see in our polyvalent room, my friend. No, you are not dreaming, no; we are real. We are The Lofttown.
We won’t fool ourselves, we have all been students, us first, and for that reason we know what you’re like and how we can help. When you hear that university is the best period in your life, believe us, it is. That’s why we know that it’s not 100% studying, but you also need moments for yourselves to disconnect and to have a little peace in your mind. But so that you can also see that we are concerned about your learning and your personal growth, we are going to suggest how you can have this moment of relaxation but without giving up learning for a moment. Could this be possible? Do Netflix or HBO ring a bell? We have no doubt that you know them. How would it seem to you if we tell you that this is the tool that you need? Sure, you are now beginning to think that we are a distinct student residence. Guys, Netflix has opened many doors and the door of knowledge and learning is one of those.
TO BEGIN WITH VOCABULARY
So we are going to give you a list of the best series to learn English and which, of course, you will be able to enjoy in our installations with your new friends lofttowners:
- Friends: we couldn’t start our list in any other way. It is the American series par excellence. You know it, right? Of course you do. Well now it is we who tell you that you can keep watching it and it is a perfect series to improve your English level; as much for the vocabulary as for the theme it is ideal to learn the language. And we get a few laughs on the way.
- How I met your mother: if we had to begin our list with Friends, we have to continue with another series. Another American series par excellence. We can even dare to tell you that you won’t need the subtitles to follow the plot, since the simple and daily language turn it into one of the best series to learn English. Learn and laugh at the same time! (We are undeniable fans of Barney).
- Modern family: for sure many of you were already missing it from the list. Another of the American series par excellence and one of the most followed. And you will learn English as well as having a good time. What more could you ask for?
We have already warned you, take it easy, you haven’t jumped a page, we continue being your student residence in Barcelona although we are talking about series, and for that reason what is important for us and what we value is that our students feel the total freedom to do what they like in our installations.
Thelofttowner, don’t be bashful, we know the boom that series have had among you recently, and the great blessing your premium subscription to Netflix or HBO has proved to be.
LET’S MOVE ON TO IMPORTANT MATTERS
If you are already at an advanced level or if you have already seen these series, we suggest other series to learn English so that you can give your level an upgrade.
- Downton Abbey: for those of you who think you already have an intermediate level, this series will put you to the test. It is one of the best series to learn English, pure British, since the accents of the actors are the best. And in addition, you going to be able to learn both the old language of high society as well as that of popular society. Do you dare? You will be a complete Gentleman.
- Sherlock: another indispensable series which has to appear no matter what on your list of “recommended for you”, and cannot be any less. The main actors have an excellent British accent, as well as a very complete vocabulary. And you’re going to get all this while you enjoy how the mysteries and adventures are being resolved.
- Peaky Blinders: we recommend it to you emphatically. You’re going to listen to so many British and Irish accents, and this together with mainly informal language is going to put you to the test. Do you accept the challenge?
- House of cards: this is about polite and political vocabulary;) if you are a lover of politics, without doubt this is your series.
- Black Mirror: AMEN GUYS, the revolution of revolutions has arrived and if we are in love with the series, the movie has now arrived, a complete revolution in the cinematographic field and the experience and interaction of the user, but that’s another topic. When the publicity of the 80s and a good narrative come together, jewels like this arise, you can’t leave it pending to see, we won’t forgive you for that.
- Prison Break: don’t go! Here you have your favorite series. The characters have a good accent and the dialogues are short, which will help you to understand better what is going on in the plot. Furthermore, you are going to learn specific vocabulary, and hey, you’re going to love it.
- Breaking Bad: right now you are thinking why we have left the best to the last. Maybe so that you stay with us a bit longer. The accent, the pronunciation and the way of speaking of the main actor are going to allow you to learn a lot of vocabulary and follow the thread of the plot with relative facility.
Perhaps you are reading the post and you think that we haven’t given even one you like and you don’t like any of the ones we have suggested (something that we don’t believe because there are a couple that are not so bad). But everything can be, since with the infinity of series that there is, it is difficult that everyone likes all of them. But we are not worried about that, since we are sure that you know other best series to learn English and you will understand that these are only some ideas that we are giving you.
Do you think it strange that a student residence talks to you about these things? We like to do the unusual because we know that we offer what you need. Without doubt it is the perfect place to take your studies to the maximum level, since we have totally custom-made study areas. But we also know that you won’t be studying 24 hours a day. Yes, sorry, we know it. And it’s for that reason we are giving you some ideas about what you can do in those moments that you are not studying (which for sure are few) to allow you to relax and go forward.
We also know that you are now thinking that this is what the others say, and it is what we have to say so that you come with us. Well you are very wrong my friends, we love you with all our heart.
Why turn your university stay into a routine? Don’t limit yourself to spending the best time of your life in simple student accommodation.Take advantage of it!
You may also be interested in:
Nov 24 2018
All those who have been through university have experienced the dreaded first day at university. I remember it as if it were today itself, I arrived a bunch of nerves at a faculty where I did not know anyone and in a city that wasn’t mine… but that is another issue, we are not about talking about my war stories but to give the best advice to you about my experience on the first day at university. Surely you find yourself at a point that could be summarized thus: you have already enrolled and you have had to choose groups of subjects that you want to take part in, you had to choose between being an A1, A2, A3… And obviously here you had your first insecurity: how do I choose to go to one group or another without knowing anyone? Then you choose the group for the hours that suit you, and like this you create your academic schedule. Well, once you have passed this stage (and they taken a beautiful photo for your student card) the first day arrives.
LET’S GO STEP BY STEP: THE BEFORE
Step-by-step, seeking balance and letting myself go… like this is how you have to overcome the first day at university with these tips for university.
Before see you the faces, search Facebook, surely there is a group created with all your future classmates, make the first friendships, give your phone number, create a class group and everything starts there. It is also very useful, you can already see that this group will be the main source of information among you (long before the uni mail) if the teacher is missing in class, if you have a test and you want to revise, if you are going out partying and putting up photos, if you organize the mid-course trip. And the best thing is that you’ll always have it with you.
THE FIRST TRIP
Thanks to this Facebook group you will be able know if there is anyone who lives near you and has to use the same transportation (train, subway, car…) it is the perfect opportunity to meet with them and make your first group, true friendships will come later.
ONCE ARRIVED: THE DURING
The first day of class always tends to be the one that you all are concentrated on: you listen to the professor and (oh miracle) you don’t miss a class, which translates into a mass of 100 students moving throughout the campus. Remember this image well; you will probably never again see so many of your classmates together. Why? We don’t want to upset you but it is during this period when students realize whether this degree is for them or not, so that of the 100 of you that begin, between 50 and 60 will graduate. But that does not mean that you’re going to be one of them. What do you have to do during these classes? Be very attentive to the teacher, he or she will surely explain their working method, how to hand in papers and tests that you will do, as well as the equivalent % within their subject. BE ATTENTIVE! We don’t want anyone to go to second-chance or, worse, fail the subject because there are no second-chance exams.
MORE TIPS FOR UNIVERSITY: THE AFTER
Go out of the university and arrange to meet with your classmates, go to have a drink at the campus bar and make friendships, you’ll see that little by little everything flows and hey, maybe without realizing you’ve directed yourself to the same class group with whom you have become as thick as thieves, it is fate.
THE ETERNAL QUESTION: HOW SHALL I DRESS?
First impressions count so what clothes you wear on the first day will say much about you; we advise you not to go in disguise, you don’t have to go dressed-up only because it is the first day. Be yourself, university is an important step, it is like starting from 0 at a new venue that is no longer the high school, with some new friends, and even (if you’re like me, big time) may have to live in this new city and that is scary. Here we go to TheLofttown as we know first-hand how you feel if you have to go to live in another city, we look after you in the best way and you can see it, all our residents are delighted with us, we are very nice people. We know what you need and give it to you at all times. We continue with our tips as we still have the most important left:
We don’t want to see you shy, open yourself to others as you are, think that they do not know you at all and you do not have the familiarity that you are accustomed to have with your friends so patience, we promise that soon they will become the most indispensable part of the degree. Another of the tips that we give is that you join in, to all practical extent, all parties, dinners, lunches, birthday parties that are organised; these are those dinners where you’ll start to get familiarity with others and from where the best stories will come out that you will keep commenting on throughout the degree. Although we will miss you very much in our student residence Barcelona, we know that it is something that you need; so here goes another of the tips for university which will be useful for you, and this is said by someone saying it already happened to, and now (with some more years) remembers the first day at university as a precious memory full of dreams.
Starting university is something precious, so take a breath, relax and enjoy the day-to-day the maximum, later we want you to tell us everything.
Another little thing, living with friends is something that helps a lot when it comes to classes, organising the work, breaks… If you know of someone in your degree who needs to live in Barcelona we can help you, remember we have double rooms, you could live with him/her!, Think about it, the best way to get to know your classmates is to spend 24 hours together, believe me.
What you think of our blog? We believed it necessary to share with you these tips to overcome the dreaded first day at university, and to make you see that it is nothing like what you imagine. Take it easy guys, we will help you in everything that is in our hands and we are never going to turn our back on you; and it is for this reason that we want to ask you something: what do of you want us to talk about? We give you carte blanche to comment on the blog the issues you want us to deal with, you’re the boss.