Mar 11 2018
If you wonder what it is like living in a student residence, it is because you are thinking of going to live in one of them: CONGRATULATIONS! You have just found your residence in Barcelona, and we’re going to tell you the reason why.
WHO ARE WE?
- A family: our residents, known as thelofttowners, are our engine, together we are one big family that we could not do without.
- We care for you: as your parents would, we give you everything you need to live very comfortably: facilities to your liking, study rooms, buffet restaurant (we’ll talk about this wonder in a moment), cinema room, room areas with private access, and rooms with kitchen and terrace and… our parties!
- The cuisine: we cook local produce and what you don’t eat will be earmarked for soup kitchens in our city. We are totally respectful with the environment and our facilities have been created like that, and you know what? If you wish you can visit the farms where the buffet produce comes from 😉
- The experience: something that cannot be described, living in a student residence is vitality, energy, laughs, good times, company, parties, games, meals, work… We could summarize that living in a student residence is life, a life that you can’t miss.
And that said, dear reader, we would love you to visit our website so that you can also enter part of “this”, what is called a family, which we share together. We want to know your motivations, your studies, your goals; we care about you and are going to care for you (our word). We are waiting with open arms.
Mar 05 2018
We are not the same; that is the first thing we say to you, university life can change in many ways and the main thing that we change is our way of being. Hazing, parties, classes, your friends from the beginning… Shall we look together?
WE SHARE YOUR ‘ME’ AT THE BEGINNING WITH YOUR ‘ME’ OF THE LAST YEAR
- Class: your ‘ME’ of the first year is applied, answers the questions in class, participates, and sits in the first row (Yes! In the front row). Your ‘ME’ of the last year no longer knows what topic is covered in class and if one day you decide to go to class, you stay looking at the wall. Is it like that or not? 😉
- With colleagues: your ‘ME’ of the first year will want to know everyone, become friends with everyone and not rule out anyone, while your ‘ME’ of the last year already has a group of friends formed and will not interact with anyone else.
- Work: your ‘ME’ of the first year will begin super-motivated with the tasks, you’ll want to stand out and go beyond, be able to do images, creative titles, home pages at the level of an advertising festival and even add comments at the bottom of the page. While your ‘ME’ of the past year will do the work on the last day and your biggest obstacle will be the dreaded final project.
- Outfits: girls and boys, we are talking about style: your ‘ME’ of the first year will go to the university as if it were the 080, while your ‘ME’ of the last year will grab the first thing you find in the wardrobe to go ‘OK’, and if we are at exam time, forget the makeup.
Do you feel identified? We want to know what stage you find yourselves at. We hope to have brought out a small smile with this post. We love you thelofttowners.
Feb 28 2018
APPS AND TOOLS FOR STUDENTS (AND NOT FOR DUMMIES)
Sometimes university is not easy and even less with so much work, and projects that have to be handed in; as sometimes we see you a little overwhelmed and worried, we have decided to look into tools for students and help you a little. You may know some of them already but… we are sharing them with you anyway 😉
TOOLS FOR STUDENTS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Google Drive: one of the most “popular” Google platforms, where you can share documents online, so you can create a workspace and invite your entire work group so that each one can do their part online.
- Canva: Canva is a free online platform with which, from some templates, you can create incredible designs, from CVs, presentations, posters, Instagram posts, Facebook posts, Facebook home pages, A4… everything!
- Trello: it is ideal to create panels and share them. One of the things you can do is to create three columns, with the tasks you have to do, which are being done and which are completed; the second step is to invite your mates to join in.
- Slack: it is like a group chat, you can exchange documents, and you can also send live messages… everything you need!
- Mendeley: if you do not know… let us tell you that we have discovered something great. Mendeley is an application that (get this) creates bibliographies with APA (and others) only by dragging the online document onto your home page. Just as you hear it.
- VMock: this platform creates instant comments on your improvement plan. The first review is free.
What do you think our tools for students? We want to know!
Feb 13 2018
We tell you all the things to do in Barcelona
The situation could be summarized in this way: you’ve arranged to meet this afternoon with other thelofttowners and you do not know the things to do in Barcelona because, let’s say, you have already visited the most touristic places, (we refer to the Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, Casa Batlló…). Well then, today we share with you some ideal places that you can enjoy in the fantastic city of Barcelona in good company. Shall we start?
- Icebar: is it time to feel even colder still? Icebar is a bar located in Barceloneta made entirely of ice, which leads to this bar being at an average temperature of -18º, but it is worth it! Being made entirely of ice, you can enjoy a full Siberian experience. Who dares to enter?
- Hidden swimming pools in the middle of the Eixample: yes, it is possible and in fact has a name: the gardens of the Torre de les Aigües, which host the precious and well known beach of the Eixample. They are the first of the Cerdà inner courtyards that were restored for public use. This swimming pool is open only in the summer months. Shall we see each other there?
- The Montjuïc cable car: visit the city of Barcelona from a bird’s-eye view, to reach the mythical mountain which houses one of the best museums of art in Catalunya, MNAC; but if art is not your thing, we challenge you to find the enormous slides hidden on the mountain 😉
- Els Encants: no, we do not mean the charm that Barcelona has (that too) but the Encants market, where you can find bargains and all kinds of antiques; it is close to the Las Glories Shopping Centre, another newly renovated mall that is really well worth the visit.
How about it thelofttowner? This afternoon we are going on a tour to see things to do in Barcelona!
Feb 06 2018
University is a change, that is clear, but there is a common factor which is repeated in all of them, and that is the profiles of university professors. If this is your first year you may not yet be able to make an overall assessment: you have not had them or even may not know them enough or, because you are now entering the second semester, but those who are already veterans can confirm it for you. Let’s see those profiles of professors that are repeated in each university 😉
- The model: needs no introduction, this is the young teacher who unfortunately only goes to teach a couple of weeks, as a substitute or just to give a final touch and extend the concepts of the subject that you’re being given.
- The one who doesn’t get the students’ liking: yes guys, there’s always a teacher willing to ask for the first part of the final project (not literally) for the same week as you have final exams, and they are like that: they like to torture students.
- The one who explains too fast: they always appear and the worst thing is that they are completely aware that they speak too fast. Maybe before you start the class they remind you to stop them if they speak too fast… but even so, these classes are often competitions of who’s able to take notes faster, forgetting nothing: because they don’t put the Power Points on the website 😉
- The funny one: the profile known by students as the one who makes jokes without sense and without any humour; his intention is good but you don’t end up getting everything.
- The example: the teacher who remains in the memory of all the students, who gets more than 40% of students to attend class and gets them motivated, and who in the future you keep in contact with.
How many have you had? Comment on our post! Surely you have a name for each type 😉
Jan 31 2018
We have all said that mythical expression “when I grow up I want to be” and now, studying at university, living away from home and starting a future path, is when we take a look back and think nostalgically of what you dreamed of being. Shall we remember together?
- Fire fighter / Police officer: it didn’t matter, what we wanted was to be part of those heroes who fought against the bad guys and beat them. We loved playing cops and robbers, imagining the patrol car with the siren, which led to long afternoons in the park playing at being grown up. And who didn’t?
- Magician: Harry Potter influenced our childhood in a way that many of us hoped at some point for the arrival of the letter from Hogwarts to form part of the fabulous world of magic. How many memories come to mind, truly? And surely you tried to move some object with the spell wingardium leviosa.
- Teacher: This is a “when I grow up I want to be” that surely some of you have fulfilled and for that reason we congratulate you. Our teachers instilled us with knowledge and encouraged us to follow our dreams. Who does not remember them?
- Vet / Marine biologist / Zoo keeper: If there were animals you wanted to work there, and probably decided it after visiting the zoo, aquarium or seeing a Disney movie like Nemo or Tarzan, right? And who didn’t! We have all at one time cared for a little sick street animal.
Have you fulfilled your dream thelofttowner? Let us tell you that if you’re with us it is because you are building your professional future, so we couldn’t be more pleased, but always remember the “when I grow up I want to be”.
Jan 16 2018
Today we are talking about where you can go to study in Barcelona if what you want is a change of scenery or to go to a bar for a drink and do your work, either in group or as individuals. As you know, in The Lofttown you can find group study rooms, coworking and single rooms, so what we are talking about today are the best places (outside of The Lofttown) where you can meet up and work a little 😉
- Do you like brunch?: Federal cafe is one of the first cafés that offers a brunch fixed menu, so if you don’t have time to eat in The Lofttown it is a very good choice to make a workgroup and eat a light and delicious fixed menu. What do you think?
- The MNAC library: yes, we are talking about the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya, it is the ideal quiet corner if you are looking for peace and quiet, and you can take a break to visit the museum. Students have a 30% discount 😉
- Do you need a walk?: there is nothing better after studying than to take a walk through the Park Joan Miró where you can revise, read your notes, lie down on the soft grass or read a book quietly; it’s a relaxing moment that every student needs.
- Centre Cívic Can Deu : it is the change of scenery that you needed, the cafeteria with that quaint appeal will be the ideal space in which to meet with friends.
As you can see, Barcelona is a study city and therefore a student city; we say to all our residents of The Lofttown (our thelofttowners) we say that here (in The Lofttown) you have everything you need, and we are giving you some more alternatives just if you want to change the scenery a bit 😉
Jan 03 2018
After the holidays the dreaded back to studies and routine arrives, which means “picking up the pace again” and we know that this is very difficult, but we have to get down to it because some of you have final exams in January and February and we want to help you pass them successfully; so, thelofttowners, here are our recommendations.
- Start your routine in advance: sure, during these holidays you’ve gone to bed at a time close to dawn; what we recommend is that a week before going back to studies you start preparing your body. So go to sleep at a reasonable time and get up early so getting back into the routine won’t be so tiresome.
- Prepare the night before: it is very important to leave everything ready in the evening, and when we say everything we mean everything: clothes, backpack, homework, notes… so in the morning you won’t have to worry about anything and can even sleep a little more.
- Breakfast. Seriously: breakfast is the most important meal of the day and although you think that you have already eaten enough, that premise does not apply to breakfast. It is the meal that will give you energy for the whole day.
- Plan your timetable: know when the new classes begin (remember that you are changing your semester, and if you haven’t done it yet this advice will help you later) where they are taught, which teacher you are going to do them with, and think about the classmates who go to the same classes as you, they are a good support not to get lost on the first day.
Are you ready? Then on with the new semester.
Dec 27 2017
With the rise of Netflix, what series to see becomes a question that is supported by hours of reading about series and series that all seem interesting, and in the end we do not know which one to go with. To make this task easier, we’ve delved into the world of trends in Netflix to bring you today a selection of the best series so that you do not miss out 😉 and do you know what is best? That you can see them in our The Lofttown TV room with all your friends. Sorted!
Maybe you won’t discover anything new, but at least you’ll know what series to see
- The Walking Dead: one of the most vibrant series of the season, again on everyone’s lips after the premiere of season 8. If you have not seen it… you have many episodes to see before you get up-to-date; you can take advantage of the hours you spend in The Lofttown to get together a group of friends and see the episodes in the TV room.
- Stranger Things: the vibrant companion comes to Netflix with the announcement of the second season. It seems to be the series that everyone knows about and you can’t be one less.
- Game of Thrones: season after season this promises to be the centre of attention; let’s say that without it #winterisn’tcoming.
- Vikings: the reason why you will want to call yourself Ragnar Lothbrok is only known by fans of this series. Another good series to share long evenings with friends in our bar.
- Shameless: the daily life of a strange, a little dysfunctional and poor family has become one of the series of the season. Would you like to know why?
We believe that 5 are enough to get started. On with the series marathon!
Dec 19 2017
For our thelofttowners not returning home for Christmas, we have a surprise prepared; we know that some of you need to work at Christmas, so under our commitment to support and take care of you, we are sharing with you a list of the apps that will help you find work at Christmas, company placements or temporary jobs. Shall we start?
- Jovid: the app that helps you to find company placements without previous experience. It connects students with companies in the sector of your interest so that you get to know them from the inside.
- Worktoday: it is as easy as downloading the app, filling in the fields, and starting to look for offers that are of interest to you; some of the temporary contracts can become long term contracts. Will you be you one of them?
- Guudjob: this application allows you to create a personal profile with your achievements, with which you will receive comments on your professional profile, which can open the doors when it comes to finding a job.
- Job today: its motto is: “Find work in 24 hours” and it perfectly sums up the philosophy of the platform to get a quick job. If you’re one of those who want to work at Christmas and wants it now, this is your app.
For all our residents who stay to enjoy Christmas in Barcelona I want to say that if you want to work at Christmas it is a very good option to learn a little more about the city where you live, the culture and above all the language (if this is one of your weak points). We want you to feel at home and we do everything we can to make it happen. Happy Holidays to all! And to those of you who have gone away for Christmas… see you soon!