Dec 05 2017
… BECAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO WANT THEM FOR YOURSELF
In The Lofttown we celebrate Christmas above all else, and this is also very special since it is our first Christmas! And we are excited to be able to celebrate with you all, but surprises will come soon enough, we are not giving anything away. Today I want to talk about Christmas gifts because it is very common among you to celebrate the Secret Santa; and as you’ll probably have to buy many presents, we give you some ideas for gifts, within your budget, and which are original. Looks like mission impossible but we have made it reality.
- Chocolate fondue: you want it and we know. Who doesn’t like sharing an evening with a chocolate fondue? We are sure of laughter, games, delicious food and a few laughs among friends.
- Memory book: you can give a memory book where each and every resident you know in The Lofttown can sign it, writing moments to remember with you, add stickers or memories in it…this way not only are you going to take away a unique experience during your years of study, you are going to take a bit of all and each of the residents and friends (for life).
- Sports kit: there is always the typical friend who insists you go with them to the gym and that friend needs you to put on your tracksuit and use the sports kit that they have given you so that you go with them, and having a gym like the one that you have in The Lofttown you cannot make any more excuses.
- The magic of films: a classic gift that recreates one of the most appealing expressions: movie and blanket. So give this, a movie and a blanket so the cold winter evenings become pleasant movie marathons 😉
Did you like our suggestions? Happy Holidays thelofttowners
Nov 30 2017
If you constantly ask yourself what to do in Barcelona, it is that you do not know the ultimate fashionable entertainment that there is, not only in the city, but in Catalonia, and it is called Escape Room. We know that in winter a plan to spend the afternoon in a bar with friends is complicated due to the cold so we propose an alternative plan and we explain what it is:
You will find all the Escape Rooms that we present below in Barcelona; to give you an idea what it is, we will tell you that it is a fun game that takes place with teams from 2 to 6 or 7 players that for one hour will need to use their wit and ability to solve clues and get out of a room in less than 60 minutes. Sounds good, right?
ESCAPE WORLD BARCELONA
So as not to spoil it, we will only tell you that you will have one hour to get out of a pirate ship before being thrown to the sharks. Will you be able to do it? This Escape Room is located in the street Lluis Saginer, 16-18.
It is surprising because it accepts groups of 3 to 30 people; almost all the residents of TheLofttown can go! Some might think that being such a big group of people can have a negative effect but it is not so, since these types of games are based on competition within the same group, so maybe you will be divided and… Let’s play!
PICADERO MOTEL ROOM ESCAPE
“Soon you will know “the chopper”, the owner of this live Escape game who has locked you up, and why it is not just a game for him.” So it is defined in its web page; for the more courageous and daring we propose this live Escape Room of fear. Only 29% get out. Would you be one of them?
Are you up for it? 😉
Nov 23 2017
Having a long-distance relationship just at the moment when you start university or go on an Erasmus is one of the issues that most concern couples since there are many prejudices that a long-distance relationship doesn’t work, but that is not true; and we are going to give some tips so that the physical distance doesn’t become an emotional distance, and this way you can make a long-distance relationship work, which is one of the best feelings there is in the world.
- Communicate frequently: now, thanks to new technologies we can communicate daily and frequently by WhatsApp, Skype… the secret is finding a moment a day, or every two days, to get in contact with your family and with your partner.
- Speak about everything: not knowing where your partner has been for the night can lead to thinking too much and bringing up surely wrong thoughts and fears. It is very important that you talk about everything with your partner, if you go out to party, if you’re going to have a drink, and if you can send a message when you get home. It may seem a tiresome attitude but when distance separates, all negative thinking can be the start of a great deal of unnecessary argument.
- Know people and places: make your partner part of your day-to-day and the places you visit and the people you meet, show them photographs, videos… that way the daily talks will be much more meaningful and you will feel that you are part of your partner’s life.
Do you have your partner in The Lofttown? Then you are in good hands, we take care of all our residents as if we were your parents. We are here for you J
Nov 15 2017
Learning a language is always a surprising task since it allows you to communicate with those people who are native speakers of a specific region. If you want to go on an Erasmus and learn, for example, English or Spanish, we’ll give you some of the keys you have the follow so you can learn a language in less than a year. Incredible, right?
- Jump into the deep end: take the plane and go on an Erasmus, immerse yourself in the culture and language, listen, visit, see, communicate…
- Be curious: the word “I don’t understand” has to disappear from your vocabulary, don’t be afraid to ask, that’s how you learn 😉
- Watch TV: watching TV in the language that you want to learn has many advantages; to try to understand what they say with the speed and technical terms that accompany the informative vocabulary is one of the best ways to learn a language, and if you have questions: ask.
- Your fellow TheLofttowners: if there is something that we like to see, it is how your friendships are consolidated here; there are many residents from different countries so you can learn a lot from one other, and it is the ideal time to start learning a language supported by all your colleagues and friends.
Our residence for students in Barcelona is one of the main places where learning a language becomes something fun if we do it together, taking advantage of meeting new people who come on an Erasmus to create a small family together. We will give you all the tools for learning a language, reinforcement classes, private study areas; but doing it with friends is more fun and if it is in the The Lofttown bar much better 😉
Nov 07 2017
One of the challenges that are most popular on social networks is eating for one euro a day for a week; many You Tubers have joined this initiative to raise awareness of the daily waste of much food that we buy and that we hardly tried, or just didn’t consume, and it passes its expiry date. Today what we are going to say to you is that you don’t need to take up this challenge because we do something incredible with food from the buffet and also take care of your student diet. Shall we begin?
A COUSINE TO TALK ABOUT
- A quality buffet: our products are local, which means that we buy the produce from farms to reduce the footprint that food transport causes.
- A varied diet, rich in vitamins: a student diet has to be conceived and designed to meet the daily needs and the wear and tear suffered by students by working, studying, going to class, paying attention, taking notes… That is why in our buffet you will find many products that a well-balanced diet contains, full of vitamins to deal with every day; and no need to worry about the food left over or that you don’t eat; you don’t have to do the challenge because here comes the best thing.
- The food that you don’t eat: we give it to NGOs to be delivered to social canteens in the city for the most disadvantaged in our city. This way we assure you a diet for students ideal to keep going throughout the day but furthermore we are always working under Corporate Social Responsibility.
As you can see, there is no need to take the challenge of eating on a euro a day for a week. We are already working under this commitment.
Nov 01 2017
To study abroad is one of the ambitions of any university or other type of student; it is an experience that many want to have, and there are some signs that announce that you are now ready to study abroad. Do you want to know if you’re one of them?
Are you ready?
- You have a strong obsession with the movies, series, and music of the country: if you’re feeling like that, it is because you’re ready to pack and travel.
- You dream in another language: it could be that you master that language and this is a quality that few have, but when you are well prepared to study abroad, the language finds a way of sneaking into your dreams.
- You love the food of that country: food is one of the few things that allow you to immerse yourself in the culture of a country, and it is because the food is coated with the traditions and know-how of your future destination.
- Everyone knows your plans to study abroad: and it is because you can’t talk of anything else, trivia, historical data, emblematic buildings… You already even know which excursions and visits that you will make 😉
- Your room gives you away: you decorate the room with posters, banners, details… everything that reminds you of that country so it is more than clear, you have to go to study abroad right now.
Do you know what the best thing is when you study abroad? Meeting new people, new cultures, points of view, traditions… and we offer you the place where you can create the cradle of all your moments and memories during your stay. If you are an Erasmus student and your city destination is Barcelona, we offer you our hand to provide you with a complete 360 ° experience. Be a thelofttowner.
Oct 26 2017
We have already told you some secret places to visit in Barcelona, but we still haven’t recommended any Barcelona activities and that can’t be! Today we dedicate our day to visiting the Camp Nou and its surroundings. So take note, fill your evenings with dead hours because you’re going to need them:
- Barcelona Camp Nou: a stadium, a passion, a feeling: more than a club. You can go to visit the Camp Nou stadium, go into the locker room, sit in the presidential box, on the bench of the main stars of the game, and even step on the grass of the pitch. For all those who want to experience an unforgettable evening and put themselves in the skin of the Barça players, Camp Nou welcomes you.
- Without going any further: next to it is the Palau Blaugrana, the place where the most exciting basketball games take place. Complete the day with a visit to the Palau Blaugrana and enjoy the souvenir shop with all your gang. Who knows… maybe you will meet some famous player 😉
- Ice cold: next to it is the ice rink, a place where laughs, falls and friendly shenanigans are ensured. You can spend a wonderful afternoon gliding across the ice and feeling you are real skaters. It is one of the most fun Barcelona activities.
- La Masia: you have before you the cradle of the Barça stars, the place where they played, studied, and the best football tactics were created. It is almost a fairy-tale place, since the building impressively counters the sound of the street with its majesty.
There are Barcelona activities that are well worth visiting, and this is certainly one of them. Discover Barcelona with us 🙂
Oct 17 2017
Everyone would like a guide for students that taught us the secret of getting good grades, right? Well you aren’t going to believe it but today we are sharing it with you, so you don’t have to wait any longer.
Do you know what the real key to success is? You.
- Determination: never stop working for what you believe in and motivates you, enjoy everything you do in class, arouse your curiosity by reading about the topic and what is said about it in the world, don’t close any doors. The university is a place where you can find an answer to everything that you consider.
- Dedication: your studies will be your profession. You have to devote time, never stop learning. It is true what they say, that “you will never go to sleep without having learned something new”, and this is your daily challenge.
- Effort: without effort there is no reward, and this has been more than demonstrated, the effort you make today will be the achievement of tomorrow. From The Lofttown we know the importance that concentration has for this point, and for this reason we offer you private rooms so that you can do your tasks and homework in total concentration. Let’s continue with the guide for students!
- Fun: obviously you also have to have your moments of fun; and we put at your disposal movie theaters and games rooms so that you exercise your brain with fun, and escape from yourself a little.
You have the secret of success; you are the one who will make your own guide for students, which will take you to the emphatic success of your studies, work and ambitions. We are there to support you in everything 😉
Oct 12 2017
And we are sharing them with you. You don’t get the opportunity every day to learn study skills from one of the best universities. Sometimes a lack of concentration, motivation or tiredness prevents us from studying at 100%, which is why Harvard University has got going, and has brought to light the study skills that all students should have:
TECHNIQUES OF THE MASTERS
- Take notes by hand: it is becoming more normal for students to take notes on a support device, given its speed and perfect compression of the written words, but it is precisely taking notes by hand which helps us most at study time because by having to write you have to be more attentive and to reflect on what you are writing.
- Organize your time and study various subjects at the same time: it seems impossible but if you study several subjects at the same time the exercise of alternating subjects favours the retention of the content.
- Rest: the brain has to rest from the exhaustion that study causes, so if you organize yourself well (point number 2) you’ll have time to go out to clear your head and de-stress your thoughts so that new learning can enter.
- Devote less time to reading: it is one of the study skills proposed by Harvard University where they recommend not wasting time re-reading , instead dedicating the time to recall.
Studying, taking a degree and passing are the challenges that you are going to experience with us, but because we care for you, we are giving you all the keys that we have for you to attain success. Ultimately they will be your best years, think: a new city, new companions, a different lifestyle, away from your parents and with all the amenities you could want. Welcome to our family 😉
Oct 05 2017
Before coming to study in Barcelona, let us say that you have to have a list of everything you need to take, remember, ask… and this can sometimes cause stress and doubts. So for all our thelofttowners (and those who come to study in Barcelona) we leave you some guidelines that you must follow to enjoy your trip. Shall we do this?
BEFORE YOU TRAVEL:
What should I take in my suitcase?
Barcelona is a city with quite a pleasant climate so a variety of long sleeves, long trousers, t-shirts, some shorts, sneakers, boots, sandals and a coat will suffice.
We recommend bringing a power converter and an adapter. It is something that we never thought about taking, and you will be eternally grateful for the recommendation 😉
ON YOUR ARRIVAL
Do I have to register?
Registration is mandatory for all the inhabitants of a city or town, so if you are coming to study in Barcelona and stay in our residence, it is required. It is a very quick procedure that is done through the Citizen Attention office.
DURING YOUR STAY
What can I do?
Now it’s yours, see Barcelona as you had never imagined; in our blog we have brought to light some secret corners of Barcelona. Take a look 😉
UPON YOUR RETURN
I don’t want to go back!
Us neither 🙁 so don’t lose contact because you will always be a thelofttowner. On returning to your home (if you are coming to study in Barcelona by ERASMUS) you have to make sure that you validate you credits.
We are determined to respond to all questions that you may have to make your trip to Barcelona as enjoyable and unchaotic as possible; think that you are coming to know your future 😉