Jun 14 2018
Are you new in town?
Sometimes living abroad becomes overwhelming, especially the first months: the culture shock, a new town that you don’t know, maybe a language that you don’t master. These are facts that make you feel out of place a little. So that does not happen, we share with you the essential keys you have to strictly follow so that you can enjoy your experience from day one.
EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO DO
- Friends: we need to be in company, to have someone to talk to and strike up a friendship with, so your first mission will be to make friends. Furthermore it is one of the fastest ways to adapt to the new city, so who better than someone local to teach you the city?
- Lose yourself: Yes, lose yourself in the city, explore, question, discover… There is nothing better than discovering new and charming places in the city that will be your home during your exchange, so don’t wait any more and get out there. For sure, you will go with a map or GPS activated, you will not really be lost and not know how to get back again.
- Watch out for the money: especially if you go to a city where there is a different currency. Please note that here we use the euro and that the conversion is different; so keep control of your expenses at all times to live abroad calmly.
- Have a great time: engrave this sentence with fire, it is a unique and unrepeatable experience (at least under the same conditions), so don’t miss another moment, create memories, take thousands of photos and grow; especially, grow personally and professionally.
And you, would you like to be a thelofttowner?
Jun 08 2018
Why visit Barcelona in summer? What’s special? TheLofttowners, today we say to you that this is your final post, for those who’ve been new on this course we invite you to know the sunniest Barcelona and all the activities that you can do, because if you have come to study here you must know everything. Here we go!
NIGHT LIFE IN BARCELONA
One of the things that we like most when we visit Barcelona in summer is the terraces, and there can be nothing better than to have a drink with friends after dinner on a quiet terrace with background music and facing the sea; the most daring will surely want to have a dip in the sea, and we encourage you to do so 😉
THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
We know that title is taken by NYC, but let us appropriate it for a few minutes; and it is because Barcelona doesn’t sleep either, both day and night there is a great atmosphere on the street. Do you already know where to have dinner today? Try El Nacional, we’ll say no more 🙂
How were we going to forget our beloved day activities? Being able to visit Barcelona in summer has its advantages, for example bicycle rental is much more enjoyable if what you want is to see the city quietly and without hurry. Shall we go tonight?
To visit Barcelona in summer is something that should be mandatory and desirable; there are thousands of activities waiting for you to know. If you come to study in Barcelona you’ve already been able to know the winter, you now have the best part: THE BEACH! Enjoy yourself. For sure, we will check that you are wearing high protection sunscreen.
May 20 2018
During the week of April 13 in Barcelona, Jobarcelona went ahead, where university students and companies do face to face networking. Right now, we’re thinking, do our thelofttowners know how to network? And as they say: when in doubt, full speed ahead, so we bring you this post full of recommendations so that the next time you network you may be experts.
WE ARE GOING NETWORKING
- Make a list: before going networking, research companies and make a list of those that you are most interested in, so you don’t get lost in the crowd and that you go directly to the point. Get interesting contacts.
- Get up early: the early bird gets contacts. Be the first to sit at the tables of the companies that you’ve previously included in the list; be friendly, courteous, answers questions about what you have been asked, and don’t beat around the bush.
- Prepare your CV and something else: having your CD printed in order to hand it over to companies is the golden rule; but if you really want to stand out, take business cards, cover letters… everything extra that can give support to your interview will be so much the better.
- Attend talks: in networking there are often lectures, question and answer sessions… sign up for everything you can, CV checks, personal counselling, mock group meetings with people who you do not know. Do all that you can. It is training and experience for you.
We care for you and your future, so we try to place in your hands all that you need to know about how to network. Would you like us to talk about something specific that worries you or you find interesting? Let us know in the comments and we’ll talk about it 😉
May 08 2018
Some of you may ask, what is a gap year? Very briefly, it would be the period before during or after university when you decide to go away for a time to work, do an internship, study a language… and we believe that it is one of the best experiences you can have during your university years; and we are going to give you 4 good reasons that will make you catch a plane tomorrow to take a gap year.
TELL ME MORE
- Improve your performance: and we put it as the first choice because it is believed that “taking a sabbatical” implies a disengagement and delay in studies, but it is not so: returning home after a gap year makes you more independent, more responsible and more eager to continue with your studies, so… think about it well 😉
- Improve your chances of incorporation to the workplace: putting on your CV that you’ve been a year abroad educating yourself, apart from the degree, is a specification that you cannot overlook, and for sure there are many companies that will be interested in your profile. So if you have the chance, don’t lose it.
- Improve your linguistic mastery: If you go to a country with a foreign language, one of the best achievements that you are going to take away will be a mastery of the language, the ease of being able to hold a conversation, and the amount of things that you will learn. This is not taught in a school 😉
- You will have a really good time: it will be the experience that everyone says changes you, and it will: you’ll be out of your home environment, meet new people, cultures, meals, parties, places, feelings… It cannot be measured with words; you have to experience it for yourself.
How do you see it? We, as a student residence, would like you to want to live this experience of the gap year with us; in Barcelona you will find many of the things you were looking for, and others that simply appear. Come, we are waiting 😉
May 03 2018
The reason why you will want to study abroad
We tend to see the famous in a position that intimidates us: they are those people who go on TV, attend galas, are interviewed and sometimes have the best photos on Instagram. Sometimes it seems that they are out of reach but is not like that; in fact there are many famous people that have experienced the feelings of an Erasmus. Today they are the ones who tell us what they learned and how to study abroad. Let’s begin with the list!
HOLLYWOOD COMES TO OUR BLOG
- Emma Watson: we could not start in a better way; the famous actress who played the role of Hermione in Harry Potter shares the same passion for studies as her fictional character, because she spent 18 months studying English literature and later studied a degree at England’s Oxford University.
- J.K. Rowling: and from the actress, we move on to the writer and creator of Harry Potter, who gave shape to the first edition of the book and the universe of Harry Potter with her first book, Harry Potter and Philosopher’s Stone, while giving English classes in Portugal; on the other hand she studied a university degree in French at Exeter University, England.
- Vera Wang: the fashionable designer from the United States spent some time studying at the Sorbonne, University of Paris, where she fell in love (and who does not) with French style; after working as an editor at fashion magazine Vogue, she took the big step to the design and manufacture of fashion until today she is globally known for her wedding dresses.
As you can see, to study abroad shapes people with the point of view of a future winner, enriches culturally and personally and opens the doors to what you want to be; if you decide it you can, you too can also succeed in life and we are sure that you’re going to do it. Dare to study abroad, we promise that we will look after you a lot 😉
Apr 24 2018
Studying outside is an opportunity you can not miss, and we tell you why.
One of the aspirations of students is to go to school abroad, sometimes it can be complicated by the doubts that appear, first of all we tell you that studying abroad is one of the best things you will do during your university life, especially if you decide come to study in Barcelona, if you keep reading us, we will take all the doubts you may have, will we start?
3 REASONS TO GIVE THE GREAT STEP
- You will be more independent: this is the main reason and most importantly, independence and knowing how to get up is only the first thing you will learn, wherever you go you will be alone at the beginning and you will have to know how to move and ask. It has all happened to us!
- You make new friendships: another of the advantages of studying abroad is that you will make many friends and probably from different parts of the world, who knows, maybe in the future you can visit them and you have a home assured wherever you are live;)
- You will learn to have a routine: put the washing machine, bring your tasks up to date, go to make the purchase, go out with your friends, clean … they are actions that you will include to your agenda, from now on there will be nobody to do these tasks for you
But do you know what is the best of all this? That studying abroad will give you the best years of your life and also the best stories: you will try extraordinary dishes, you will make brilliant friendships, you will go to some of the craziest parties and above all, you will fill your backpack with experiences and personal growth, so Are you ready to take this leap? We wait for you below to catch you;)
Apr 09 2018
It is something that we always ask ourselves, studying career in Barcelona is one of the best options, because it becomes part of the ranking of the best European cities where to go to study, but … do you know what Barcelona is related to in this ranking? Keep reading to discover it.
TOP 10 OF EUROPEAN CITIES
- Culture and art: in this area the first place is taken by Florence, it is par excellence the city of culture and art, cradle of the Renaissance artistic movement its streets saw artists like Botticelli, Brunelleschi, Michelangelo, Dante and Leonardo da Vinci among others.
- Transport: the first place in the best European city of transport is London, the connections available in this city allow you to be in less than 2 hours to Berlin and 20 minutes more to Paris, in addition if you are a student in London You must have the Oyester card and benefit from the exclusive discounts for students. Are you going to miss it?
- Best nightlife: we appear in the ranking, and the first place is for Barcelona, so if you are thinking of coming to study a career in Barcelona, you can enjoy the best nightlife, bars where you can have a drink and enjoy the best nightspots in the world, we are also very nice;) our thelofttowners can tell you.
- For foodies: San Sebastian enters this ranking with the position of being the European city number one in terms of food and catering is concerned, what to go for skewers along with a zurito will be your best pastime if what you like is to enjoy a culinary culture very particular and very like its character: hard.
So you see, studying a career in Barcelona is going to give you some unique opportunities and advantages, if you think that this is your place, we give you the opportunity to live your most important time of study with us. Welcome to The Lofttown.
Mar 27 2018
Dear thelofttowners, today we are talking about sport for students as a way to escape the work, the university, the stress… Surely you are not aware of it, but doing sport at exam time or high-stress times does not take away time, on the contrary you’re going to get more benefits than you think.
4 ENVIABLE BENEFITS
- Let’s go to the simple one: it is a healthy, complete and very active hobby. So far, so good.
- Sport for students calms nerves, takes you away from stressful situations so that you can go more relaxed and with new energy for the challenges of the day.
- The importance of rest: it is when we sleep that we assimilate the knowledge learned during the day and it is assimilated during the night if on this day we have done sport for students; the knowledge will be assimilated better since your rest will be full and deep.
- Easier to endure long hours; do know why? Because those who are not used to exercise tend to suffer more back pain and get irritated more quickly.
- Better results: and guys, we are talking about grades, it is shown that students who do sport have more capacity for concentration; correct our posture and we will feel better.
Would you like us to give you some very good news? We have a gym and a solarium that is prepared for you, for you to do your favourite sport and get rid of the stressful situation which you are living; and as we like giving advice, let us tell you that having a daily routine of exercises will be your passport to healthy and personal university success. Shall we start? See you at the gym in an hour with the other thelofttowners 🙂
Mar 20 2018
Known worldwide as the student diet, student meals are basically canned food, prefabricated dishes and leftovers from the previous day, right? Thelofttown revolutionizes the world of student meals and offers something that you’ll want (and a lot). Does it arouse your curiosity?
WE GET AWAY FROM FAST FOOD
Just don’t say that the food in a student apartment is blessed gold; each one has their space in the fridge and THEIR food, which is not shared with anyone; and that kind of food is not usually very healthy or varied: pasta, hamburgers, pizza, biscuits and chocolates is what we find in abundance. So, what student meals will you find in a student residence? Specifically in ours: Thelofttown, because we are going to see, right?
- A buffet: take all you want and repeat whenever you wish, our buffet offers fresh, healthy, varied local produce.
- For curious palates: we offer produce from other countries in the world so that you can try everything, also our menus will vary so you’ll not always eat the same thing, but you will eat in the same way: enjoyable and balanced (and delicious).
- A high-class restaurant: Thelofttown has a dining area to make you feel comfortable to enjoy your meal, so you can arrange right away with the other thelofttowners to enjoy our fresh diets, grilled dishes, without fats, home-made desserts… Our mouths are already watering.
Future thelofttowner who is reading us, we have something to tell you: we are your next adventure in Barcelona. As a student residence we want you to become part of our family so that we can take care of you in the most important academic years of your life. Shall we start?
Mar 11 2018
If you wonder what it is like living in a student residence, it is because you are thinking of going to live in one of them: CONGRATULATIONS! You have just found your residence in Barcelona, and we’re going to tell you the reason why.
WHO ARE WE?
- A family: our residents, known as thelofttowners, are our engine, together we are one big family that we could not do without.
- We care for you: as your parents would, we give you everything you need to live very comfortably: facilities to your liking, study rooms, buffet restaurant (we’ll talk about this wonder in a moment), cinema room, room areas with private access, and rooms with kitchen and terrace and… our parties!
- The cuisine: we cook local produce and what you don’t eat will be earmarked for soup kitchens in our city. We are totally respectful with the environment and our facilities have been created like that, and you know what? If you wish you can visit the farms where the buffet produce comes from 😉
- The experience: something that cannot be described, living in a student residence is vitality, energy, laughs, good times, company, parties, games, meals, work… We could summarize that living in a student residence is life, a life that you can’t miss.
And that said, dear reader, we would love you to visit our website so that you can also enter part of “this”, what is called a family, which we share together. We want to know your motivations, your studies, your goals; we care about you and are going to care for you (our word). We are waiting with open arms.