Nov 24 2018
All those who have been through university have experienced the dreaded first day at university. I remember it as if it were today itself, I arrived a bunch of nerves at a faculty where I did not know anyone and in a city that wasn’t mine… but that is another issue, we are not about talking about my war stories but to give the best advice to you about my experience on the first day at university. Surely you find yourself at a point that could be summarized thus: you have already enrolled and you have had to choose groups of subjects that you want to take part in, you had to choose between being an A1, A2, A3… And obviously here you had your first insecurity: how do I choose to go to one group or another without knowing anyone? Then you choose the group for the hours that suit you, and like this you create your academic schedule. Well, once you have passed this stage (and they taken a beautiful photo for your student card) the first day arrives.
LET’S GO STEP BY STEP: THE BEFORE
Step-by-step, seeking balance and letting myself go… like this is how you have to overcome the first day at university with these tips for university.
Before see you the faces, search Facebook, surely there is a group created with all your future classmates, make the first friendships, give your phone number, create a class group and everything starts there. It is also very useful, you can already see that this group will be the main source of information among you (long before the uni mail) if the teacher is missing in class, if you have a test and you want to revise, if you are going out partying and putting up photos, if you organize the mid-course trip. And the best thing is that you’ll always have it with you.
THE FIRST TRIP
Thanks to this Facebook group you will be able know if there is anyone who lives near you and has to use the same transportation (train, subway, car…) it is the perfect opportunity to meet with them and make your first group, true friendships will come later.
ONCE ARRIVED: THE DURING
The first day of class always tends to be the one that you all are concentrated on: you listen to the professor and (oh miracle) you don’t miss a class, which translates into a mass of 100 students moving throughout the campus. Remember this image well; you will probably never again see so many of your classmates together. Why? We don’t want to upset you but it is during this period when students realize whether this degree is for them or not, so that of the 100 of you that begin, between 50 and 60 will graduate. But that does not mean that you’re going to be one of them. What do you have to do during these classes? Be very attentive to the teacher, he or she will surely explain their working method, how to hand in papers and tests that you will do, as well as the equivalent % within their subject. BE ATTENTIVE! We don’t want anyone to go to second-chance or, worse, fail the subject because there are no second-chance exams.
MORE TIPS FOR UNIVERSITY: THE AFTER
Go out of the university and arrange to meet with your classmates, go to have a drink at the campus bar and make friendships, you’ll see that little by little everything flows and hey, maybe without realizing you’ve directed yourself to the same class group with whom you have become as thick as thieves, it is fate.
THE ETERNAL QUESTION: HOW SHALL I DRESS?
First impressions count so what clothes you wear on the first day will say much about you; we advise you not to go in disguise, you don’t have to go dressed-up only because it is the first day. Be yourself, university is an important step, it is like starting from 0 at a new venue that is no longer the high school, with some new friends, and even (if you’re like me, big time) may have to live in this new city and that is scary. Here we go to TheLofttown as we know first-hand how you feel if you have to go to live in another city, we look after you in the best way and you can see it, all our residents are delighted with us, we are very nice people. We know what you need and give it to you at all times. We continue with our tips as we still have the most important left:
We don’t want to see you shy, open yourself to others as you are, think that they do not know you at all and you do not have the familiarity that you are accustomed to have with your friends so patience, we promise that soon they will become the most indispensable part of the degree. Another of the tips that we give is that you join in, to all practical extent, all parties, dinners, lunches, birthday parties that are organised; these are those dinners where you’ll start to get familiarity with others and from where the best stories will come out that you will keep commenting on throughout the degree. Although we will miss you very much in our student residence Barcelona, we know that it is something that you need; so here goes another of the tips for university which will be useful for you, and this is said by someone saying it already happened to, and now (with some more years) remembers the first day at university as a precious memory full of dreams.
Starting university is something precious, so take a breath, relax and enjoy the day-to-day the maximum, later we want you to tell us everything.
Another little thing, living with friends is something that helps a lot when it comes to classes, organising the work, breaks… If you know of someone in your degree who needs to live in Barcelona we can help you, remember we have double rooms, you could live with him/her!, Think about it, the best way to get to know your classmates is to spend 24 hours together, believe me.
What you think of our blog? We believed it necessary to share with you these tips to overcome the dreaded first day at university, and to make you see that it is nothing like what you imagine. Take it easy guys, we will help you in everything that is in our hands and we are never going to turn our back on you; and it is for this reason that we want to ask you something: what do of you want us to talk about? We give you carte blanche to comment on the blog the issues you want us to deal with, you’re the boss.
Oct 30 2018
There is only one hall of residence Barcelona which will give everything you want and more, do you have a slight idea of which it could be? If the word TheLofttown has resounded in your mind, you are right: we are the residence that gives you everything, and about this you’re probably thinking: what do you mean by everything? Well, we are talking about: we give you a complete service, rooms with all comforts, some of them have kitchen, terrace, some are individual, you access them with your fingerprint, and we have a gym, solarium, terrace, a restaurant with an ample and delicious buffet full of surprises. We usually do theme days; this week we have had dinner with an Arabic theme, and everyone loved it. We have multipurpose rooms, study rooms, games rooms and even movies and playstation so you can relax in moments of complete disconnection. We celebrate the Secret Santa and organize trips and excursions for each and every one of you. Are you still asking yourself what we want to say by we offer you everything?
We have one more thing to say you (in fact two): do you think that you are ready to become part of our family and therefore stay in the hall of residence Barcelona? Well first of all we want to see if you’re ready to live this adventure so we suggest you do our test:
WILL YOU BE A FUTURE THELOFTTOWNER?
Win the medal to see if you’re ready to be part of our great family.
AT THE PROSPECT OF MEETING NEW PEOPLE, HOW DO YOU FEEL?
- a) I love to meet new people and learn from them!
- b) I feel embarrassed, why deny it, but once I get confident no one can get me to shut up.
- c) The truth, it makes me nervous to meet new people; I prefer to do my own thing without having to wait for anyone.
WOULD YOU TRAVEL TO ANOTHER COUNTRY TO DO AN ERASMUS?
- a) I already have the tickets!
- b) It is something I have thought about, but first I have to see it very clearly and see that my subjects will be validated; where will I be able to stay…?
- c) No, I like to travel but an Erasmus is not something I have in mind, I prefer to finish my degree and then see the world.
HOW DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 10 YEARS?
- a) Studying, travelling, meeting new people… really I see myself as I am now but 10 years older.
- b) With my studies finished, perhaps with a family or living the life that I’ve always wanted to.
- c) The truth is I don’t have anything clear, I do not know if I will continue studying or if I will be working.
DO I SEE MYSELF LIVING INDEPENDENTLY?
- a) In fact I think that I’m more away from home than in my own home, so yes, I can live independently easily.
- b) I’ve been living away from home for a few years and yes, I’ve survived.
- c) I have thought about it but I do not see that this is the ideal time to begin to do so
WE KNOW THE RESULTS
Mostly a: you are an adventurous person, you have travel and seeing the world in your veins. Aware of the world and the people it holds, we say to you that you already have one foot in TheLofttown. We are waiting for you!
Mostly b: you are passionate to know the world; curious to live away from home, yet you have not dared to definitively take the step because you feel that your home will always be your home even if you are a person of the world. For this reason we want to know you, you’re ready for your next experience in Barcelona, in the best hall of residence Barcelona, we are waiting for you; we assure you that it will be one of the best experiences (if not the best) that you will have during your small trips.
Mostly c: You are what is considered a comfortable person; you are not considering the possibility of an Erasmus. It doesn’t matter; maybe later you will think about the option of doing a master’s abroad and then we will be in your mind. You have not taken the step yet but you’re going to do it, and so when you do we will be waiting for you. So yes, even though you’ve answered mostly c, TheLofttown is your student residence.
Are you are still wondering why TheLofttown will be your best experience? We will tell you the second reason that we announced at the beginning: THE FRIENDS IN THE RESIDENCE.
And we will tell you the reason why your mates in the residence will be your best friends for life:
YOU ARE GOING TO SHARE UNFORGETTABLE MOMENTS
From the first day that you meet at university you are going to be inseparable, if in addition your friends in the residence are studying the same degree as you or are going to the same class… that is on another level, your friendship will be long-lasting.
EACH ONE OF YOU IS GOING TO HAVE A ROLE
Inside the residence there is: the tidy one, the untidy one, the one who always makes their bed, the one who always has a messy closet, the one at the gym, the one who always goes back for seconds in the buffet… We all know one of them so leave us the names of all of them in the comments; we want to give them a face.
THEIR PROBLEMS ARE YOUR PROBLEMS
It sounds very romantic but that’s how it is, the love that is created among you is something that we can’t fully understand either; you take care of each other, you spoil each other, go out to drink together in the evening, you eat together, you go to the gym together… The chemistry that is created by all of you is something from another world that only the people who form part of it can understand. Do you want to discover it yourself? You only have to come and visit our residence one day; we guarantee that you will notice the good vibrations just by entering the door.
THEY WILL BE THE WITNESSES TO YOUR CRAZIEST DECISIONS
What will be the main topic of conversation whenever you all get together again? That wild night you spent drinking, that wrong number that you called thinking that it was the guy who you like, or that message that you sent accidentally to the wrong person. Those moments when you got into a difficult situation and things could have gone badly are those that are later going to be remembered for posterity. Create them in our students’ hall of residence! We already have some that we can tell you.
SMILE WHEN SOME SPECIAL MOMENT PASSES THROUGH YOUR MIND
That happens to us all, but here it is very usual, your residence mates are going to become the most special thing that you are going to have here inside; so each and every of the moments that you remember with them will bring on a giggle. And this is what we want to take home when it is sadly the time to say goodbye.
Convinced? I think that we can say nothing more about us, you will have to discover it yourself, we have told you what we are like and what you’ll find once you enter to become part of our family. Shall we put one more chair at the table?
Sep 13 2018
Hello! Are you looking for an Erasmus student residence Barcelona for this next year? Hey, then you’ve arrived at the right place, maybe it was fate. Do you believe in fate? What we believe is that if you have a good time reading this post, imagine how you’re going to spend your time if you decide that we are your Erasmus student residence Barcelona. We won’t make you wait any more; for sure you have entered here to know the things that you have to take into account when choosing a student residence to study. It is very important and you should not choose the first one you see, because your academic day to day will develop accompanied by the atmosphere of the Erasmus student residence Barcelona. Do you remember when you had to choose your degree? In this case, no way will test you so that you can gain entrance, the only thing we will do, will be to give you some (good) reasons so that we may be your next best friends and even family. What do you think? We won’t make you wait any more, discover it yourself 😉 on with the post!
Grab pen and paper, or print this sheet (what you prefer) and make notes of what an Erasmus accommodation Barcelona must have. Let’s make a checklist, it will be fun.
- Cuisine: it is said that a person falls in love because of the food, well we are telling you now that we are going to be your Romeo and you our Juliet (or vice versa); our residents enjoy Mediterranean cuisine of local organic produce. In fact we organize excursions to farms where we buy the raw ingredients. At certain indicated times of the year we do special welcome or farewell dinners, last year we did a barbecue to bid farewell to all our residents until next year. And to get away a little from the routine, we do themed dinners; for example we have a Mexican dinner, a Japanese dinner, Spanish… and at Christmas… we do the Secret Santa! The food becomes something special for a family, it is the moment that we all get together to explain how our day went or our concerns about exams. Like the big family that we believe ourselves to be, as you can expect, dinners or lunches are always one of the most important moments of our day to day and, do you know what? We want you to become part of them.
- Rooms: for a long period of time they will be your refuge so what you have to take account about them is: ventilation, natural light, location, mattresses (very important for relaxation) and, well, then there is the decoration but it now depends most on you. Would you like us to tell you a secret? We have rooms with kitchen and terrace; it is like the dressing room that every woman wants to have but a little better since they come to be the little flat everyone dreams about but without giving up friends, because you have them in the same room or in the room next door. Living with friends in the best way possible! And also you don’t have to worry about anything, our room service will take care to clean it and give you clean sheets each week.
- Outdoor areas: very, very important so you can get away a bit from your studies and enjoy your free time with other residents, we guarantee that you will end up as a family because we have seen it before.
What else can we tell you? Nor do we want to reveal all our secrets to you until you come and try our VR glasses 😉
Come and be part of the best community of students in Barcelona .
Aug 27 2018
What is NEAT, some of you may ask? Well, NEAT is Not-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, known to many of you as “I’ve thinned out without doing any sport”, understanding sport as a physical activity that is sustained over time, (how professional that sounds). Let’s get to the point: so, we know NEAT as those activities within our routine that make us lose weight. And today we are going to see what can help us activate NEAT. Why? Because we care about your health.
WE GET OUT OF THE ARMCHAIR, CHAIR OR BED
So, all the activities that we do, like, for example, climbing stairs, washing the car, taking the dog for a walk, are activities that activate NEAT; but this does not end here, we have more things to say.
Physical inactivity is one of the leading causes of heart problems, diabetes, hypertension, obesity and cancer. Having said that, we are going to see how we can improve these parameters.
- Walking 10,000 steps a day: experts have shown that walking between 8,000 and 10,000 steps is healthy, because that person is considered as moderately active; obviously the more you walk, so much the better. So, all of you download an application that has your daily steps and the recommended physical activity. And if what you want is to do sport… we have a gym and a solarium more than prepared to accompany your training routine.
- At the office: for all our thelofttowners who are working in an office this summer, we recommend that you get up once each hour, so not only will you be activating NEAT but you can rest your vision and improve circulation in your legs.
- Use the stairs: instead of the elevator; even if you believe that it is nonsense, we assure you that those steps you take to walk up the stairs will do you a lot of good during all your routine.
Have you got it all down? Believe us, that as student housing we are always looking for the best for you. It is for that reason that we investigate trends to always bring you the latest. Let’s all activate NEAT!
Aug 20 2018
We cannot say no when it comes to erasmus trips, seeing the world as we learn things from it and we train ourselves as future professionals; it is a concern that many of us have and we want to dive into the deep end to see the world. Well done! If not now, never. So for all those who still have doubts what to do, which erasmus trips may interest you most, or in which cities you want to live during your formative years… we leave a small compilation of best sellers of cities for your educational trips. Let’s get to it!
THE CORNERS OF THE WORLD THAT YOU HAVE TO KNOW
- Miami: it is impossible that the word beach doesn’t come to mind hearing Miami, and who has not dreamed of going there? Few cities in the world can compete with Miami when it comes to summer: the combination of beach, long days and crazy parties create the perfect cocktail to make it one of the favourite destination places for Erasmus trips. Right?
- Paris: the city of love, and where you can get lost among the big streets and tall buildings that make you feel in some way very small; it is a good time for fans of The Da Vinci Code, for example, to go to visit the Louvre Museum, climb the Eiffel Tower, go on a boat trip along the Seine and start to practice French; because another language on your record is never a bad thing.
- Barcelona: as if we were going to forget our beloved city! Last month we talked about the reason to come for Erasmus trips Barcelona, it will be a pleasant experience for you all, so we won’t go on any more; we just want to remind you that we are the student residence in Barcelona with the best community, and we await you with open arms.
You’re thinking about it twice, right? Don’t think any more and enjoy your Erasmus trips today.
Aug 15 2018
Golden bodies in the sun and the best Barcelona beaches in front of you; there is nothing better than enjoying this August lying in the sun, but wait, do you actually know all the Barcelona beaches where you can go? And you do not know it, but there are hidden corners in Barcelona which are waiting for your visit. You only have to read our blog post to find out what will be your next stop. Let’s get to it!
OUR SELECTION OF BARCELONA BEACHES
- Barceloneta: the best known of all, and the beach of la Barceloneta is an undisputed symbol of Barcelona; on this beach, starting with a refreshing swim, you can use the services it offers, such as: sports areas, rental of beach umbrellas, beach library, bike rental, lockers and showers and public toilets.
- Mar Bella: one of the most significant bays of Barceloneta, a quiet, family , place, and perfect to have a good time with all the thelofttowners. Now we ask you, please be very careful with the sun, your health is at stake and the sun’s damage is not repairable. What will you find on this beach? Refreshment stands and ice creams on sale, sports areas and lockers.
- Somorrostro: our last beach in this selection, which has a story to tell, was baptized with this name to pay homage to the shanty neighbourhood of Somorrostro , which after one hundred years of life, was knocked down in 1966 for the visit of Franco to Barcelona. The name of the beach and its history are what make this neighborhood an everlasting memory.
Which beach would you prefer? Sincerely, as we are in love with Barcelona we love each and every one of its beaches, and above all the beach bars that are close by. Would you like to sign up to eat a paella with us? There is no better way to enjoy the August.
Aug 10 2018
The bases of the Mediterranean diet to be an exemplary student
Do you really think that we were going to forget about the Mediterranean diet for you? None of that! Indeed, you students who have spent this first year with us have been able to discover that our buffet always has a wide variety of the bright colours of the healthy Mediterranean diet. This (obviously) brings some benefits to you that we are going to reveal
WE HAVE THE SECRET RECIPE FOR STUDENT SUCCESS
- Quality produce: the most basic; without quality produce there is no Mediterranean diet that is worth anything, and we refer to fresh meat, fresh fish, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, raw extra virgin olive oils, whole-grain cereals, daily-fresh dairy products… with all of this, we build the healthiest base for your food.
- Goodbye to ultra-processed food: fruit, vegetables, vitamins, healthy food and quality is what you will find in our kitchens. We attach great importance to the issue of food because without energy foods it is very difficult to start the day with energy.
- We go further: healthy eating goes far beyond taste; we refer to health, eliminating all those elements harmful to health, such as refined flour, and industrial bakery. We manage to greatly reduce the risk of suffering heart disease, obesity, diabetes… Being healthy is our main concern.
As you already know, thelofttowners, we say to you that we care for you as if you were at home, we care about your food and lifestyles; so that, apart from thinking about the buffet with the care that it deserves, we put at your disposal a fitness centre so that you are always fit. One more week, thanks for reading and we hope you enjoy your stay in our students’ residence! Have a good day.
Jul 26 2018
Do you really know the best Costa Brava towns ? Thelofttowners, today we will share with you one of those posts that you like so much, in which we give tips of the best places to enjoy your stay in Barcelona 24/7. Are you up for finding out which are the best Costa Brava towns? We assure you that will you love them.
THIS IS ABOUT TOWNS
- Pals: one of the Costa Brava towns with the most charm; so far it has kept its medieval essence, being a walled town. Travelling to Pals is like travelling in time, and it is for this reason that we share with you this beautiful town so you can enjoy it as it is.
- Calella de Palafrugell: better known as the town in which, every year, there takes place the Cap Roig Festival, where the likes of Elton John, Antonio Orozco, David Bisbal, Jason Derulo, among others, have left their mark. If what you want is to enjoy good music and dream beaches, you cannot let the opportunity pass by to visit this beautiful town on the Costa Brava.
- Figueres: birthplace of surrealist artist Salvador Dalí, known worldwide for his extravagant moustache and his iconic paintings, including one of the most famous: Melting Clocks. If you want to know what inspired this artist you have to visit this beautiful town on the Costa Brava, and if you feel passion for this famous painter and sculptor, you can visit the museum.
What do you think of our choice? We know that you’ve been waiting for us to share with you the best Costa Brava towns so… here you have them! It is time to take your towel, your sun cream and your friends, and go to enjoy the best summer of your life. We, as a Barcelona students’ residence, will be waiting for you to come back with open arms.
Jul 20 2018
Barcelona is one of the most popular Erasmus summer school destinations, and it is not for nothing: we are the city with more lifestyle, tourism, activities, leisure, culture, and good weather (we could be here for days like that) that you will find. For that reason and for everything else that you will discover in this post, we say to you that if you are checking out Barcelona to come for Erasmus summer school, you have to check out the ground where you might find yourself, and we tell it to you in our post 🙂
SET LIST OF THINGS TO DO IN BARCELONA
- Beaches: in August we will share with you a post about the best beaches in Barcelona, so we will not go into this subject too much, but I can say that in Barcelona there are coves and beautiful places where you can meet with your friends from the Erasmus summer school to enjoy the best paellas in Barcelona; if this topic interests you… stay tuned to the blog in August where we’ll talk about the best beaches in Barcelona.
- Entertainment: of course, the culture of Gaudí and modernism that characterize some of the highlights of Barcelona overrun the city most linked to Catalan culture; enjoy Erasmus Barcelona photographing the Sagrada Familia, taking a selfie in the Casa Batlló, walking in the corridors of la Pedrera, enjoying the shade of the trees of Parc Güell or going up to Montjuic, where the magic fountain waits to give you its water and light show.
- Activities: we are talking about skating with in-line skates along the promenade, renting bicycles to enjoy Barcelona on a ride, visiting the aquarium to learn about marine fauna, going to the Columbus statue to have a bird’s eye view of the city, visiting the only museum in the world where you can find all the celebs in wax and bone (we are talking about the Barcelona wax museum)… in every corner of Barcelona there are things to do, and this is what our Erasmus summer school students most like.
You can be one of them; are you up for it? We will waiting for you in our Students residence in Barcelona
Jul 11 2018
Gastro sites become fashionable; where to eat in Barcelona:
Do you really know where to eat in Barcelona? We will tell you something, you can’t say you know Barcelona like the palm of your hand if you haven’t been to eat at one of these places we are going to tell you about next, they are the places where to eat in Barcelona that you should already know. Is that so? We found them
Barcelona shows its most gastro and healthy side
Do you think that we had forgotten the healthy part? No guys, your health is paramount to us. On with healthy options!
- MarketCuina Fresca: as you might expect, we start the selection with a healthy, and at the same time organic, option: fresh-daily market produce to eat in Barcelona, an experience beyond limits. The menu is composed of 80% vegetables and 20% meat, and it goes without saying that the menu products are fresh every day.
- Idil·lic: it could not be more idyllic, it is a gastro space offering only organic products and most importantly: no sugar. The sugar in our body becomes like a silent health villain: a sweet temptation we must not fall into. If you want to know all about the sweets of idil·lic, you have it easy, go spend the afternoon with friends enjoying the delicious experience of its secret cakes. Say no more!
- Woki Organic Market: an incredible gastro experience with an unbeatable atmosphere, as if it were a real market. This option located in Barcelona raises the bar of where to eat in Barcelona to another level. We cannot tell you more; you have to try it with your own palate.
Hasn’t it made it your mouth water? Go and try them, and then tell us 😉